Indian Day School Claims Process Assistance

Piapot Band Staff will be helping eligible students (those who attended Payepot School between May 17, 1949 and November 1, 1997 AND experienced harm) with filling out and submitting claim forms for the Indian Day School Settlement. Click here to see Claim Form:

Off-Reserve Claim Form Assistance:
Tuesday, January 21, 2020
Piapot Urban Office – 1661 Park St.
On-Reserve Claim Form Assistance:
Wednesday, January 22, 2020
Piapot Band Office
*A member of Chief and Council will be available during those times to sign Sworn Declarations. Note – Sworn Declarations are only required if an applicant is missing ID or does not have supporting documentation.

What You Need to Bring:

  • Level 1 – This is the base level and requires no supporting documentation. However, you will need one piece of government-issued identification (Treaty Card, Driver’s License, SIN card, etc.). The ID is required to submit the claim. If you have no ID, a Sworn Declaration can be filled out and signed off by a member of Chief and Council who will be onsite during those times listed.
  • Level 2, 3, 4 & 5 – These levels require certain documentation, see below. If you have the appropriate documentation, Band Staff can help with submitting your claim.  
  • If you are unable to obtain your required documentation for Levels 2, 3, 4 & 5, a Sworn Declaration can be filled out and signed off by a member of Chief and Council who will be onsite during those times listed.

Please Note – For those of you that have made arrangements with Allery Carrier to obtain your school records from the National Library and Archives Canada, the records have not yet been received. Communication will be made once these are received. If you want to make arrangements with Allery, he can be reached at (306) 781-4848 ext. 241 or by email at

Applying on Behalf of Other People or Deceased Family Members:

If you are applying on behalf of a person or a deceased family member (who is deceased on or after July 31, 2007), you must either be a:

  • Power of Attorney
  • Executor/ Administrator of their estate; or
  • Appointed by a Court or by INAC

What You Need to Bring:

Powers of Attorney:

  • Court Order;
  • Documentation that shows you have Power of Attorney over the Claimants finances

Executors/ Administrators

  • Death Certificate and a Will
  • Order of Grant of Administration from a Court; or
  • Letters of Administration from INAC/CIRNAC  

How to Become an Executor/Administrator of an Estate:

Step 1: Determine if there is a Will or an Executor/ Administrator already.
Step 2: If there is no Will or Executor, obtain Death Certificate.
Step 3: Determine if the deceased resided on or off-reserve.

If Class member resided on-reserve, contact ISC to be appointed as the Administrator/Executor. Contact Indigenous Services Canada (ISC) at 1-306-780-5392.

If class member resided off-reserve, contact the Province and apply for a Grant of Administration with the Office of the Public Guardian and Trustee at 1-877-787-5424.


  1. Been trying to make contact about trying to receive my education record but have not received reply from my email.Would like to know to go about it. Thank You. Roy Chapican

Leave a Reply