About the Opportunity
The purpose of the Piapot Home School Community Support Program is to promote a partnership between parents, teachers, community services and leadership; to enhance students’ learning opportunities and to promote their retention in the education system, social development and wellness. In addition, the Piapot Home School community support program places great emphasis on collaboration with the local community. The plan is to involve the school in the life of the community through integrated partnerships with Piapot Health Services, QBOW Child and Family Prevention Services, Leadership support and Elder’s Support Services.
Home visitation is a central component of the scheme. The Coordinator will spend at least 30 % of their work time on home visitation, in order to establish positive relationships between home and school. It encourages a whole-school approach to improving attendance, participation and retention in education.
Responsibilities will include, but are not limited to:
- Have a commitment to children developing their full potential.
- Have a commitment to parents developing their potential as the primary educators of their children.
- Be up to date with evidence-based research on what works to help children attend, participate in learning and be retained in the system.
- Visit the homes of students in order to promote effective communication between the school and the parents.
- Provide Mental Health and Guidance Counseling to Students.
- Work with staff to develop an understanding of educational disadvantage and promote innovative approaches and methodologies to address it.
- Plan, monitor and evaluate HSCL interventions and programs.
- Coordinate mediation and conflict resolution in cases of disagreements and/or conflicts concerning the school with the use of professional mediators and Elders.
About the Ideal Candidate
- Master’s Degree in Social Work
- Knowledge of Counseling and therapeutic process and techniques
- Knowledge of Culture and Protocols
- Knowledge of community resources and development principles.
- Proficiency in Microsoft Office, with the ability to maintain financials and reports
- Excellent written and verbal skills
- Strong organization and time management skills
- Excellent interpersonal skills, leading and building staff capacity
- Ability to work collaboratively with the Principal, teachers, students and parents.
- Ability to work independently or as team member
- DEADLINE: August 2, 2019 @ 4:30 PM
- Please submit resume, cover letter, copy of degree, certificates, and three references to:
- ATT: Nicole Crowe. Email: email@example.com or Fax: 306-781-1710
We thank all those that apply, however, only those that are selected for an interview will be contacted. Piapot First Nation relies on The Saskatchewan Human Rights Code to give preference in employment; therefore, please indicate your status on the cover letter.